ITS ADVISORY NUMBER:
Vulnerability in Adobe Shockwave Player could allow Remote Code Execution
A vulnerability has been discovered in Adobe Shockwave, which could allow for remote code execution. Adobe Shockwave is a multimedia platform used to add animation and interactivity to web pages. This update addresses a vulnerability that could allow an attacker, who successfully exploits this vulnerability, to run specially crafted code on the affected system.
Successful exploitation could result in an attacker gaining the same privileges as the logged on user. Depending on the privileges associated with the user, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
- Adobe Shockwave Player 188.8.131.52 and earlier versions
- Large and medium government entities: High
- Small government entities: High
- Large and medium business entities: High
- Small business entities: High
Home users: High
Adobe Shockwave is prone to a vulnerability which could allow for remote code execution. This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2013-3348)
Successful exploitation could result in an attacker gaining the same privileges as the logged on user. Depending on the privileges associated with the user, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Failed exploit attempts will likely cause denial-of-service conditions.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Install the updates provided by Adobe immediately after appropriate testing
- Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
- Remind users not to visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or un-trusted sources.
- Remind users not to open email attachments from unknown users or suspicious emails from trusted sources.
Acting Chief Information Security Officer
- EISO Home
- Incident Reporting
- Breach Notification
- Cyber Advisories
- NYS Digital Forensics
- Cyber Tips Newsletter
- Keeping Kids Safe Online
- Local Government
- Policies and Resources
- NY-ISAC Secure Portal
- Contact EISO