New York State Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services: Office of Counter Terrorism
Safeguard New York
Safeguard New York is an outreach initiative designed to educate individuals, community groups and other public and private sector organizations on how to recognize and report suspicious activity. Safeguard New York promotes the "See Something, Say Something" campaign and the State's Terrorism Tip Line (1-866-SAFE-NYS - 1-866-723-3697). Information is also provided on the eight signs of terrorism (listed below).
You can now also "See Something, Send Something", which allows anyone to capture suspicious activity as a photo or written note, and send the information to the New York State Intelligence Center. From there, the tip will be reviewed and if relevant, sent to the appropriate law enforcement agency. The application, which can be downloaded for free for iPhone and Android phone users, can be downloaded at www.NY.gov/SeeSendNY.
Learn how to spot suspicious activity
We have the opportunity to identify individuals with malicious intentions before they are able to cause damage. While preparing for an attack they may conduct themselves in ways that do not match the usual pattern of activity found within our daily lives, which makes them stand out from others. Know the routines of your community, always remain alert and aware of what is going on around you, and take what you hear seriously. Share this important information with your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers. Learn the 8 signs of terrorism.
Know how to describe suspicious behavior
The more accurately you can describe the behavior you observed, the more useful you will be to the authorities reviewing the suspicious activity or incident. Learn how to accurately describe suspicious behavior.
If you observe suspicious activity, always remember these important tips:
- DO NOT take direct action
- DO NOT confront the individual
- DO NOT reveal your suspicions
- DO record as many details as possible
- DO notify the appropriate authorities as soon as possible
The Office of Counter Terrorism has developed Safeguard brochures for several different sectors.
- Safeguard - New York(English)
- Safeguard - New York(Arabic)
- Safeguard - New York(Chinese)
- Safeguard - New York(French)
- Safeguard - New York(Haitian Creole)
- Safeguard - New York(Hebrew)
- Safeguard - New York(Italian)
- Safeguard - New York(Korean)
- Safeguard - New York(Russian)
- Safeguard - New York(Spanish)
- Safeguard - New York(Yiddish)
- Safeguard - Agriculture(English)
- Safeguard - Agriculture(Spanish)
- Safeguard - Fire/EMS(English)
- Safeguard - Maritime(English)
- Safeguard - Maritime(French)
- Safeguard - Mass Transit(English)