Homeland Security and Emergency Services

FEMA disasterassistance.gov

Disaster Assistance

Hurricane Sandy Helpline: 1-855-NYS-SANDY (1-855-697-7263)

How to apply for FEMA Assistance

You can register for FEMA assistance by:

There is never a fee to apply for FEMA disaster assistance or to receive it.

There is never a fee for FEMA or U.S. Small Business Administration property damage inspections.

Please be aware: Government workers will never ask for a fee or payment. They wear a photo ID. Watch out for middlemen who promise you will receive money, especially if they ask for an up-front payment.

One of the dire consequences of any disaster for many people is the loss of important documents. Often, such documents are needed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and state emergency services in order to process assistance applications for those who suffered losses or damage to their homes and belongings.

For copies of your utility bills, bank records, insurance policies, mortgage payments and the like, call the appropriate firm and speak to a customer-service representative.

If papers are lost - like birth certificates, Social Security cards, drivers' licenses, tax records and so on - you can receive replacements by contacting the following:

Information About Disaster Loans through the Small Business Administration

SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, nonprofit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery & equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.

For more information:

Visit SBA.gov - U.S Small Business Administration
or contact the SBA Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-800-659-2955.