New York State Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services
New York State has three (3) commercially licensed nuclear power sites that contain six (6) nuclear power plants.
The sites are located at Indian Point in Westchester County; Nine Mile Point in Oswego County; and R.E. Ginna in Wayne County.
To meet the public health and safety concerns of the people living within the 10-mile emergency planning zones surrounding each site, New York State OEM works with the emergency management staffs of seven counties. They are:
- Indian Point: Westchester, Rockland, Orange and Putnam counties
- Nine Mile Point: Oswego County
- R.E. Ginna: Wayne and Monroe counties
Public Radiological Emergency Preparedness (REP) Plan
The purpose of the New York State Radiological Emergency Preparedness (REP) Plan is to minimize the health risk of the State's inhabitants in the event of a radiological emergency – an accident at a nuclear power plant that may result in the loss of control of a radiation source.
Please note that the Plan does not contain an Appendix J, Procedure I or Procedure J - these sections are reserved.
* The NYS REP Plan is current as of July 2014.
- Protecting Public Health and Safety - an abridged version of the State REP Plan.
- Radiologic Emergency Preparedness for the Agriculture Community - information for farmers, food processors and distributors near nuclear power plants.
- Radiation Emergency Information for New York State Residents - describes what you can do to protect yourself and your family in an emergency
Details on local planning efforts for radiological preparedness can be found on the following counties' websites:
- Westchester County: http://keepingsafe.westchestergov.com/indian-point
- Rockland County: http://www.rocklandgov.com/departments/fire-and-emergency/indian-point
- Orange County: http://www.orangecountygov.com/content/1162/975/2095/2091/5401/default.aspx
- Putnam County: http://www.putnamcountyny.com/pcbes
- Wayne County: http://www.co.wayne.ny.us/Departments/emermgt/emermgt.htm
- Monroe County: http://www2.monroecounty.gov/safety-oep.php
- Oswego County: http://www.co.oswego.ny.us/emo/nuclear.html
About The Joint Information Center
The Indian Point Joint Information Center is a key component in the ongoing public education campaign promoting preparedness and public safety for residents in the 10-mile emergency planning zone surrounding the Indian Point nuclear power generating site in Buchanan, Westchester County.
The Joint Information Center provides the public with information on planning efforts to protect public health and safety. Partners in this educational effort are the counties of Orange, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester, New York State, and the plant's licensee, Entergy.
Should an emergency occur at Indian Point, this site will provide the public and the media with official information on response activities being taken by the governmental agencies and the licensee.