New York State has three (3) commercially licensed nuclear power sites that contain six (6) nuclear power plants.
The sites are located at Indian Point in Westchester County; Nine Mile Point in Oswego County; and R.E. Ginna in Wayne County.
To meet the public health and safety concerns of the people living within the 10-mile emergency planning zones surrounding each site, New York State OEM works with the emergency management staffs of seven counties. They are:
- Indian Point: Westchester, Rockland, Orange and Putnam counties
- Nine Mile Point: Oswego County
- R.E. Ginna: Wayne and Monroe counties
Public Radiological Emergency Preparedness (REP) Plan
The purpose of the New York State Radiological Emergency Preparedness (REP) Plan is to minimize the health risk of the State's inhabitants in the event of a radiological emergency – an accident at a nuclear power plant that may result in the loss of control of a radiation source.
Please note that the Plan does not contain an Appendix J, Procedure I or Procedure J - these sections are reserved.
* The NYS REP Plan is current as of March 2011.
- Appendix - A: Definitions
- Appendix - B: Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Appendix - C: Personnel Monitoring Center Resources
- Appendix - D: Resources/Facilities to Support Federal Response
- Appendix - E: List of Letters of Agreement
- Appendix - F: Hospital Facilities
- Appendix - G: State Resources
- Appendix - H: Cross Reference Index to 10CFR50
- Appendix - I: Procedure Cross Reference
- Appendix J: Reserved
- Appendix - K: Potassium Iodide
- Procedure - A: Plan Maintenance
- Procedure - B: Communications/Warning
- Procedure - C: Public Information
- Procedure - D: State Emergency Operations Center
- Procedure - E: Public Education
- Procedure - F: Training, Drills and Exercises
- Procedure - G: Radiological Exposure Control
- Procedure - H: Assessment and Evaluation
- Procedures I-J: Reserved
- Procedure - K: Radiological Ingestion Exposure
- Procedure - L: Relocation/Return/Reentry/Ingestion
- Procedure - M: Ingestion Sampling Team
- Procedure - N: Radiological Emergency Laboratory
- Protecting Public Health and Safety- an abridged version of the State REP Plan.
- Radiological Emergency Information for the Agricultural Community- information for farmers, food processors and distributors near nuclear power plants.
While the information below outlines New York State’s Radiological Emergency Planning efforts, details on local planning efforts can be found on the web sites for the individual counties:
About The Joint Information Center
This website is a key component in the ongoing public education campaign promoting preparedness and public safety for the residents in the 10-mile emergency planning zone surrounding the Indian Point nuclear power generating site in Buchanan, Westchester County. Partners in this educational effort are the counties of Orange, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester, New York, and the plants licencee, Entergy Northeast.
This site daily provides the public with information on plant conditions and the planning efforts to protect public health and safety.