New York State Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services
When Operating a Generator
Keep these key points in mind when operating an emergency generator:
- Keep children away from generators at all times.
- Operate outdoors in a clean, dry area.
- Generator must be grounded properly.
- After losing power, turn off main breaker or pull main fuse block.
- Generators that are directly connected to existing wiring systems must use double-pole, double-throw (DPDT) transfer switch.
- All electrical connections must comply with New York State Fire and Building Codes.
- Do not overload generator with too many appliances.
- Use properly sized extension cords in good condition.
- Be aware that you may be liable for damage or injury to people and property resulting from an improperly installed or operated emergency generator.