New York State Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services
Tornado - After the Storm
- Help injured or trapped persons. DO NOT try to move the seriously injured unless they are in immediate danger of further injury.
- Turn on radio or television to get the latest emergency information. Obey all curfews and emergency orders.
- Avoid all downed power lines. Assume they are have electricity.
- Stay out of damaged buildings. Return home only when authorities say it is safe.
- Use the telephone only for emergency calls.
- Clean up spilled medicines, bleaches, or gasoline or other flammable liquids immediately. Leave buildings immediately if you smell gas or chemical fumes.
- Take pictures of the damage -- both the house and its contents -- for insurance purposes.
- Check on neighbors who require special assistance: infants, the elderly, and people with disabilities.
- If you must drive, use caution. Stay away from disaster areas. Do not sightsee!