New York State Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services
Training - Professional Development Series (PDS)
The Professional Development Series includes seven courses, taken in a classroom or via independent study, that provide a well-rounded set of fundamentals for those in the emergency management profession. Many students build on this foundation to develop their careers. While these courses are offered as independent study programs through FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI) and may be most conveniently taken through this means, OEM does offer these courses in a classroom format which may be more fulfilling for students desiring a more interactive learning environment.
After successfully completing all 7 required PDS courses through the Independent Study program, a PDS certificate is automatically generated by FEMA, issued via US Postal Service to the mailing address provided on your last exam submission.
- IS 120a, Introduction to Exercises
- IS 230b, Fundamentals of Emergency Management
- IS 235b, Emergency Planning
- IS 240a, Leadership and Influence
- IS 241a, Decision Making and Problem Solving
- IS 242a, Effective Communication
- IS 244a, Developing and Managing Volunteers