Information Bulletin Number 0805212

Hurricane Preparedness Week is May 25-31

Governor David A. Paterson has proclaimed May 25-31 as Hurricane Preparedness Week in the Empire State in advance of the hurricane / coastal storm season that runs from June 1 through November 30. 

“The chief responsibility of government is to protect the citizens, communities and economic vitality of our State and Nation – and individuals must share a burden of that responsibility,” Governor Paterson said.  “Therefore, it is imperative that citizens take the time now to be prepared before storm warnings are posted by reviewing their emergency plans at home and at work to ensure their safety and that of their loved ones.”

Historically, these storms threaten not only coastal communities, but all regions of the Empire State.  For example, Tropical Storms Floyd (in 1999) and Agnes (in 1972) struck inland and caused millions of dollars of damage.

John R. Gibb, Director of the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO) urged communities, individuals and businesses to take some simple, common sense steps now, if they have not already done so, to be prepared for the 2008 storm season.

“Being prepared is as easy as one-two-three,” Gibb said.  “Individuals should review their community's and family plans, stock up on emergency supplies.  Residents should also review their insurance policies and their coverage.  In any recovery process, individual insurance is the first line of defense,” Gibb said.

Gibb said residents should be aware of weather conditions by monitoring local radio and television stations broadcasts as well as NOAA Weather Radio for the latest information.  One of the best ways residents can receive emergency information is from NY-ALERT, New York State's all-hazards alert and notification system.  To subscribe for this free service, visit  If you do not have access to the worldwide web, you may still sign up for NY-ALERT by calling 1-888-697-6972.

Among other valuable informational resources is the SEMO web-site; or check your county's web-page.