The Special Operations Branch provides education, refresher training and emergency technical assistance or response in the areas of Hazardous Materials and Technical Rescue, including New York Task Force 2-Urban and Technical Search and Rescue Team. The Special Operations Branch staff also provide coordination and distribution of the State and Federal Homeland Security Grant funding to the various regions and teams for Hazardous Materials and Technical Rescue equipment and programs..
Technical Rescue Group
The Tech Rescue Group
- Basic and Advanced rescue-related training and oversight/coordination of the NYS Urban/Technical Search and Rescue Team (NYTF-2).
Hazardous Materials Group
The Hazardous Materials Group
- Conducts basic and advanced hazardous materials and weapons of mass destruction training
- Assists hazmat teams with preparedness through routine liaison
- Reviews and evaluates local hazardous materials response plans
- Conducts hazardous materials team exercise evaluations
- Provides WMD equipment calibration and maintenance
- Provides on scene technical assistance at hazmat emergencies
- Maintains fully equipped hazmat teams available for large scale incidents
News and Information
- CHEMICAL SUICIDES Identification Guide for 911 Communications
The purpose of this document is to provide 911 call takers and dispatchers with a guideline for identifying key components of a chemical suicide.
Forms and Documents
- Hazardous Materials Report Form 209-u (496KB PDF file) (4 pages) / color version (724KB PDF file) (4 pages)
- NY-TF 2 Operational Manual (194 pages)