The following publications are offered by several hosts as well as the NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control (OFPC).
OFPC publications are available free-of-charge by downloading from this site. Permission is granted to reproduce the following fire safety pamphlets for the intent of educational purposes only.
State Office Campus
1220 Washington Avenue
Building 7A, Floor 2
Albany, NY 12242
- National Fire Academy Volunteer Incentive Program
- New York State Emergency Services Revolving Loan Program
- New York State Information Management System Application
- Check Your Lamps - Don't Exceed The Maximum Wattage
- Portable Electric Heater Safety
- Clothes Dryers and Vent Maintenance
- New Carbon Monoxide Alarm Law
- Know Two Ways Out
- OFPC Safety Alerts
- Construction Projects
- Special Events
- Extension Cords
- Fire is Fast!
- Sprinkler Inspection & Tests
- Fire Department Notification
- Haunted Houses
- Fire and smoke doors can not protect you...
- System Impairments
- Potential Hazard - Floor Light
- Number one cause of fires on campus - Cooking
- How to find and order our videotapes and DVDs
- Search the NYS Fire Academy's library database Provides viewers with a "virtual fire library". Use links within citations to access some items online, or send an e-mail requesting loans to OFPC.Library@dhses.ny.gov.
- On the Scene and Informed: First Response and Autism
- Recommended Guidelines for Fire Suppression Operations Involving Engine Compartment Fires on P-32 and P-42 Locomotives
- Escape Hybrid - Emergency Response Guide from Ford Motor Company (5/04) (500KB)
- General Motors' Electric Vehicles Emergency Response Information (6/04) (900KB)
- GM Web Site for First Responder Information on Airbags and Pre-tensioners
- Hybrid and Alternate Fuel Vehicle Emergency Responder Information from Toyota Motor Sales (3/04)
- The Ethanol Emergency Response Coalition (EERC) was formed to support safety concerns with the transporting and handling of renewable fuels-specifically ethanol and ethanol blended fuels.
- Wildfire and Drought Resources
Links to assist Fire Chiefs, Emergency Managers, and all emergency responders in anticipating and planning for drought conditions and wildfire potential.
This informative booklet is made available by the New York State Office For People With Developmental Disabilities.
This training/safety bulletin was put together to assist fire service personnel prepare for their responses to a fire involving one of these locomotives. This document provides basic recommended guidelines for dealing with fires within the engine compartment of a P-42 or P-32 locomotive.
This vehicle uses a conventional gasoline engine in addition to an electric motor to power the vehicle. The information in this guide will allow you to respond to Escape Hybrid vehicles as safely as you do with conventional vehicles.
Designed to provide technical information to emergency response personnel for use in their handling of emergency situations involving General Motors' electric vehicles.
Toyota developed Emergency Response Guides (ERG's) to educate and assist emergency responders in the safe handling of Toyota Alternate Fueled Vehicles that incorporate CNG Gas, Hydrogen Gas, or High Voltage electrical systems. This Toyota link will provide up-to-date emergency response details for models listed.
Permission is granted to reproduce the following fire safety pamphlets for the intent of educational purposes only.
Provides safety tips for the use of candles and includes statistical information. (NOTE: hard copy is not available)
Where does carbon monoxide come from, what it does, and the do's and don'ts to make your home safer.
- Christmas Tree Safety (148KB)
Tips that help keep fire from ruining a wonderful holiday.
- College Arson Warning (1.5MB)
Important reminders to college students of the danger and concequences of firesetting. Single page flyer
Drills in the Home (4.4MB)
Exit Drills in the Home step-by-step. Learn planning your escape, the family meeting place and the drill.
- Fire Safety and Aging (1.3MB)
Fire safety tips for older adults.
- Fire Safety Tips for Elderly Caregivers (2.6MB)
Information on fire safety for individuals who provide care for elderly person(s).
Fire Safety (232KB)
In the event of a fire, do you know what to do? Learn valuable safety tips to survive a high-rise fire.
Fire Extinguishers (148KB)
Using the correct extinguishers and knowing how to operate them in the event of an emergency.
Translated versions: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Italian, Korean, Russian, Yiddish
Fire Safety Tips (2.7MB)
Tips for smoke detectors, escape plans, cooking safety, woodstoves and fireplaces, kerosene and space heaters and electrical safety.
A powerhouse team of three heroic characters strive to educate kids about the importance of smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and home sprinkler systems.
What you should do when you check in and steps for survival in case of a fire.
- Incendio Del Hogar (232KB)
Fire safety brochure in Spanish.
- Juvenile Firesetting Intervention (1.8MB)
An essential message to parents and educators about the dangers and warning signs of firesetting behavior in youth. Single page flyer
Installation guidelines and test, clean, battery maintenance tips for working smoke detectors to save lives.
Detector Information for Kids (6.2MB)
Meet "Captain No-Harm, the Life Saving Smoke Alarm." He lets kids know what they should be informing their parents about the smoke alarms.
The Fire Prevention Bureau is pleased to provide a series of new Fire Safety Flyers.
"Make this Halloween a time of safe frights by praticing these safety habits."
- Home Heating Fire Safety
"Guidelines to help prevent fires from home heating equipment."
- Chimney Fire Safety
"Chimney maintenance for wood burning appliances."
- Holiday Fire Safety
"Make the holiday season a happy time by practicing these safety habits."
- Holiday Tree Fire Safety
"Don't let a dehydrated tree jeopardise this joyous time of year."
- Candle Fire Safety
"Guidelines for the safe use and enjoyment of candles."
- Smoke Alarm Fire Safety
"Information about smoke alarms and their use in the home."
- Home Fire Safety Checklist
"Home Fire Safety Checklist"
- Smoking Fire Safety
"A guide to prevent smoking related fires before they start."
- Cooking Fire Safety
"What you should know about fire safety when cooking."
- Camp Fire Safety
"What you should know about fire safety while camping."
- BBQ Fire Safety
"What you should know about barbeque maintenance and safety."
- RV Fire Safety
"A guide for preventing fires in recreational vehicles."
- Fireworks Fire Safety
- Boating Fire Safety
"A guide for preventing fires in boats."
- Academy Course Registration(676KB)
- Burn Injury Report(202KB)
- Campus Fire Report (488KB)
- Fire / Arson Investigation Training Program Agency Endorsement Affidavit (368KB)
- Firefighter I Skills Sheets Master List
- Fire Training Course Schedule Change Notice (373KB)
- Hazardous Materials Report Form 209-u (496KB) / color version (724KB)
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter I (2.6MB)
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter II (2.4MB)
- National Certification Examination Application(10KB)
- NETC Admission Applications FEMA Form 75-5
- Proposed Fire Training/Certification Examination Schedule (29KB)
- Report of Out-of-State Fire Training (712KB)
- Training Authorization Letter (40KB)
- Training Authorization Letter Policy
- Training Record Transcript Request (200KB)
- Training Record Transcript Request (Multiple) (216KB)
- Fire Department Training Records Transcript Request (304KB)
- All information and materials are available at the 4F Initiative page.
- Are You Ready? An In-Depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness (2/05)
FEMA's most comprehensive source on individual, family, and community preparedness.
- NYS Campus Fire Safety Training Guidelines (9/03) (48KB)
- for Students, Trainers and Residence Life Staff.
- Governor's Task Force on Campus Fire Safety Report
- Campus Fire Report Form (typeable 488KB)
- Career Information Pathfinder for Fire and Emergency Service Occupations
(Rev. 1/12) (56KB)
A resouce guide for individuals interested in a fire and/or emergency service career. This booklet identifies contacts and links for associations, apprenticeship programs, civil service exams, and more.
Developed under a Volunteer Fire Service Fitness and Wellness Cooperative agreement between the United States Fire Administration (USFA) and the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC). The partnership aims to reduce loss of life among volunteer firefighters from heart attack and stress and involves both research and the development of examples of effective health and wellness programs. (FA-321/February 2009/FEMA) (812KB) (67 pgs)
- Academy of Fire Science, Montour Falls, NY (Schuyler County)
- Fire in New York
Annual statistical report based on fire, accident, and burn injury reports from paid and volunteer departments. See the NYS Fire Incident Reporting System for additional statistical information.
New York State Governor's Task Force on Campus Fire Safety
Report, published July 2000, calls for new construction standards, annual inspections, and student safety training.
USFA Releases Fire Risk Reports (2/05)
The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has issued three special reports, part of its Topical Fire Resea rch Series, examining the risk of death or injury from fire by various demographic, geographic, and socio-economic characteristics.
- Download Fire and Life Safety Educator Task Force Survey (60KB)
- Download Fire Investigative Survey - Report of Findings (541KB)
Also see Catalogs
Bryant D. Stevens
State Fire Administrator
The members of OFPC are dedicated to the advancement of sound fire safety practices by all citizens of NY and increasing the effectiveness and proficiency of the State's fire service.
This website is part of these efforts and we trust that the information provided will assist all of us in achieving a more fire safe NY.