State Fire Instructors
What is a State Fire Instructor (SFI)
The Office of Fire Prevention & Control (OFPC) employs approximately 300 instructors assigned in all counties across New York State except Nassau and Suffolk. The actual number varies by county depending on the number of training courses conducted annually.
The positions of State Fire Instructor (SFI) are part-time temporary employees of New York State, OFPC, and are assigned to a designated county (county of residence) depending on a vacancy in a county or a specific program need. SFIs are supervised by the OFPC Fire Services Bureau (FSB) and are required to work closely with the County Fire Coordinator (CFC) in their assigned county. In addition to responsibilities as a New York State employee, instructors must follow the CFCs directions, state and local policies, class schedule, locations, times, etc.
State Fire Instructors Requirements
The minimum qualifications for appointment to this position are:
- Five years of experience as a firefighter.
- Have at least two years experience as an instructor of routine fire training skills at the company officer level.
- Have completed the following courses in the State Fire Training Program (or equivalent training program)*
- Firefighter 1
Equivalents: Firefighting Essentials and Initial Fire Attack or Basic and Intermediate Firefighter or National Certification NFPA 1001, Firefighter I
- Apparatus Operator Pump or Apparatus Operator Aerial Devices
Equivalents: Pump Operator course or Ladder Company Operations or National Certification in accordance with NFPA 1002
- Introduction to Fire Officer
Equivalents: Fire Department Management and Operations or Preparing for Command or National certification NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I
- Fire Service Instructor 1
Equivalents: National certification NFPA 1041 Fire Instructor I
*Depending on an individuals qualifications, equivalencies may be granted on a case by case basis.
Appropriate certificates from IFSAC or Pro Board
State Fire Instructors Duties
Individuals appointed to the position of SFI must be able to perform the following task/functions:
- Conduct fire training course as a lead instructor, delivered at county fire training centers or local fire stations as scheduled by the CFC or Deputy County Fire Coordinator for Training (DCFCT) or a representative of OFPC FSB.
- Instruct a minimum of 175 course contact hours annually as scheduled by the CFC/DCFCT.
- Act as an additional instructor/safety officer for courses with live fire training evolutions.
- Act as an additional instructor for courses designated with skills lessons.
- Complete administrative reports concerning student attendance and participation.
- Maintain course schedule, submit instructor report cards, schedule/location change notices as required and submit payroll vouchers on a monthly basis.
- Pass a respiratory medical exam or submit a statement of fitness to use self contained breathing apparatus. The statement of fitness shall be on a form specified by OFPC, signed by a medical doctor stating that the individual can use a full face piece respirator, self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), as specified in 29 CFR 1910.134; the date of exam; and when the next exam is required. The candidate must maintain this certification as a condition of employment.
- Possess the motor skills and physical dexterity to demonstrate firefighting skills such as search techniques, using SCBA, hose drags and carries, ladder raises and carries, and use of various tools and appliances as outlined in course curricula and the Administrative Guide for the Outreach Training Program.
- Attend instructor certification conferences at least once every two years to receive instructor certification in designated courses.
- Attend annual instructor certification conferences to receive safety training as required by 29 CFR 1910.156 and 1910.134. Maintain state issued equipment and report condition, defects, damage or malfunctions to appropriate FSB staff members.
- Follow all policies and procedures required by OFPC and the State Of New York.
State Fire Instructor Openings
Openings for the position of SFI currently exist in the following counties:
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for an SFI position please submit the following:
- Which county you would like to apply to
- Your NYS Training ID # if you have one
- Your resume
- Contact information
E-mail the above information to Andrew.Dickinson@dhses.ny.gov for consideration. Questions pertaining to becoming an SFI are also welcome.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who reside in the county where the vacancy is located.
Bryant D. Stevens
State Fire Administrator
The members of OFPC are dedicated to the advancement of sound fire safety practices by all citizens of NY and increasing the effectiveness and proficiency of the State's fire service.
This website is part of these efforts and we trust that the information provided will assist all of us in achieving a more fire safe NY.