Training Reciprocity or Equivalency for NYS Fire Training Courses- Effective April 1, 2011, in order to obtain equivalency or reciprocity for training completed outside the New York State Fire Training Program for the State fire training courses listed below, national certification to the corresponding National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Professional Qualification Standard is required. Please read the complete bulletin.
Guidelines for Live Fire Training Evolutions
All live fire training shall be conducted in accordance with National Fire Protection Association Standard (NFPA) 1403, Standard on Live Fire Training Evolutions, 2012 edition.
Specific procedures, pertaining to compliance with NFPA 1403, will be available for each State fire training course. The Office of Fire Prevention and Control will provide these procedures to state fire instructors, municipal training officers and county fire instructors at the time of instructor authorization. The use of acquired structures for live fire training is strictly prohibited in State fire training courses.
The New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Prevention and Control, in cooperation with New York State Public Employee Safety and Health, New York State Fire Chiefs Association, Firemen's Association of the State of New York, County Fire Coordinators' Association and the Fire Districts Association of the State of New York, has developed recommended minimum training standards based on firefighter and Incident Commander/Fire Officer tasks or positions to provide guidance and promote best practices for firefighter training and education in the State of New York.
2016 Academy Course Information
- 2016 Course Schedule - PDF of upcoming courses and dates for 2016.
- 2016 Academy Calendar - 12 page PDF of course dates for 2016.
- Training Catalog- 29 page PDF with course descriptions and information. (2.4 MB)(updated 10/28/16).
2016 Outreach Training Schedule
- Local / Regional Training Schedule - PDF of upcoming outreach courses and dates scheduled.
- 2014 Annual Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2013 Annual Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2012 Annual Firefighter Training and Education Report
Fire Training Manuals
- Manuals for select training courses are available to download.
DHSES Training Calendar
- DHSES Training Calendar - This Web page provides information about Training Courses offered in New York State by DHSES including the Office of Fire Prevention and Control.
- Registration Information
- Outreach Programs - Information on basic skills training available statewide
- Overview - Overview of OFPC training Programs
- The Academy of Fire Science -- information about this facility and its programs
- The Academy of Fire Science Library -- information about the Library located at the Academy of Fire Science in Montour Falls
- Academy Registration Form
- Fire / Arson Investigation Training Program Agency Endorsement Affidavit
- Firefighter I Skills Sheets Master List
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter I
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter II
- National Certification Exam Application
- Report of Out-of-State Fire Training
- Training Authorization Letter
- Request Reasonable Accommodation of a Disability
- Training Record Transcript Request (200KB PDF file)(1 pg)
- Training Record Transcript Request (Multiple) (216KB PDF file)(1 pg)
- Fire Department Training Records Transcript Request (304KB PDF file)(1 pg)