Firefighter Training and Education: Best Practices - The Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Prevention and Control, has developed recommended minimum training standards based on firefighter tasks or positions to provide guidance and promote best practices for firefighter training and education in the State of New York.
Training Reciprocity or Equivalency for NYS Fire Training Courses- Effective April 1, 2011, in order to obtain equivalency or reciprocity for training completed outside the New York State Fire Training Program for the State fire training courses listed below, national certification to the corresponding National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Professional Qualification Standard is required. Please read the complete bulletin.
Guidelines for Live Fire Training Evolutions
All live fire training shall be conducted in accordance with National Fire Protection Association Standard (NFPA) 1403, Standard on Live Fire Training Evolutions, 2007 edition.
Specific procedures, pertaining to compliance with NFPA 1403, will be available for each State fire training course. The Office of Fire Prevention and Control will provide these procedures to state fire instructors, municipal training officers and county fire instructors at the time of instructor authorization. The use of acquired structures for live fire training is strictly prohibited in State fire training courses.
2013 Academy Course Information
- 2013 Course Schedule - PDF of upcoming courses and dates for 2013.
- 2013 Academy Calendar - 12 page PDF of course dates for 2013.
- Training Catalog- 33 page PDF with course descriptions and information. (2.4 MB)(updated 5/13).
2013 Outreach Training Schedule
- Local / Regional Training Schedule - PDF of upcoming outreach courses and dates scheduled.
- Information on the National and New York State Certifications offered by OFPC.
- Aware Prepare Training - This Web page provides information about Training Courses offered in New York State by various State Agencies including the Office of Fire Prevention and Control.
- Registration Information
- Outreach Programs - Information on basic skills training available statewide
- Overview - Overview of OFPC training Programs
- The Academy of Fire Science -- information about this facility and its programs
- The Academy of Fire Science Library -- information about the Library located at the Academy of Fire Science in Montour Falls
- Academy Registration Form
- Fire / Arson Investigation Training Program Agency Endorsement Affidavit
- Firefighter I Skills Sheets Master List
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter I
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter II
- National Certification Exam Application
- Report of Out-of-State Fire Training
- Training Authorization Letter
- Training Record Transcript Request (200KB PDF file)(1 pg)
- Training Record Transcript Request (Multiple) (216KB PDF file)(1 pg)
- Fire Department Training Records Transcript Request (304KB PDF file)(1 pg)
- Academy of Fire Science Faculty Student Association, Inc.
- Academy of Fire Science Library
- Advanced Education
- Campus Fire Safety
- Emergency Responder Training
- Fire Dogs Are "Ruff" on Arson
- Fire Prevention Page
Safety for Kids
Our kids page featuring Hershey the Arson Dog Hershey's Fire Safety Activity Book
Bryant D. Stevens
State Fire Administrator
The members of OFPC are dedicated to the advancement of sound fire safety practices by all citizens of NY and increasing the effectiveness and proficiency of the State's fire service.
This website is part of these efforts and we trust that the information provided will assist all of us in achieving a more fire safe NY.