Continuity of Operations Planning (COOP)
History has shown us the importance of continuity planning for both the private and public sectors. In an effort to support New York State's continuity preparedness, the State Office of Emergency Management has developed a series of Continuity of Operations Planning (COOP) planning tools, intended to assist the planning teams throughout the development of their COOP. Applicable to all levels of State, county/local and tribal territories, each document is structured in a manner that could be used independently or in conjunction with one another.
COOP Planning Tools
- New York State's Continuity of Operations Planning Guide and Outline: The guide is intended to serve as the framework and starting point for your Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP). It can can be used in tandem with the New York State's Continuity of Operations Resource Guidance, or as a stand-alone document. Throughout this outline, you will find recommendations and prompts that will assist you with the development of your plan in an easy to follow format and layout.
- COOP Evaluation Checklist: This checklist can be used in conjunction with either of the above referenced guides. This checklist can be considered a final step in the creation of your COOP or a resource to evaluate the content of your current COOP. After this checklist is complete, your plan will be ready for testing and exercising.
- Continuity of Operations Planning Workshop: This one-day workshop follows the concept of the NYS Continuity of Operations Resource Guide and the NYS Continuity of Operations Planning Guide and
Outline. Intended to educate the participants through instruction and classroom discussion, the
participants will be exposed to a variety of COOP methodologies and best practices from both the
private and the public sector. Planning staff are available to deliver this workshop to further instill
the concepts and principles of continuity planning.
Please contact the Planning Section at phone number (518) 292-2302 if you are interested in scheduling the COOP Planning Workshop.
- The NYS COOP Resource Package and Forms
- 2018 NYS COOP Resource Package – This package contains the fillable forms and resources necessary to complete a Continuity of Operations Plan. Included in this package are the NYS Facility Assessment Form, the NYS Mission Essential Function Form, the NYS Lines of Succession Planning Form, the NYS Business Process Analysis Form, and the NYS Alternate Facility Evaluation Form. These forms and resources are meant to aid in the completion of a continuity plan. They should be attached to the plan as additional documentation and can assist in the implementation of the plan.
- Identification, Safeguarding, and Priority of Restoration of Critical Applications and Vital Records – This document will aid in identifying, safeguarding, and prioritizing the restoration of Critical Applications & Vital Records. The Critical Applications & Vital Records are identified from the BPA process and are linked to the Mission Essential Functions (MEFs). The priority of restoration of the Critical Applications & Vital Records is drawn from the rankings of the MEFs, as determined through the use of the NYS Risk & Business Impact Analysis Tool.
State, County, Local, and/or Tribal Territories looking to use the NYS Risk & Business Impact Analysis Tool should contact planning at: NYSOEM.Planning@dhses.ny.gov.