New York State Program Information
2019 Homeowner Assistance, Lake Ontario – St. Lawrence River
The Department of Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) is administering a 2019 Individual Homeowner Assistance Program that will provide residents in the impacted eight-county region up to $50,000 in state funding to help offset damages to their primary residences.
The homeowner application period will begin October 1 and will close October 31, 2019.
Applicants are eligible to receive funding for costs not covered by other sources, such as insurance, and include primary homeowners who reside in the eight counties associated with REDI - Cayuga, Jefferson, Monroe, Niagara, Orleans, Oswego, St. Lawrence and Wayne - and meet the below criteria:
- Homeowners who were impacted by flooding Jan. 1, 2019 through September 30, 2019 are entitled to apply for funding.
- Applications received between October 1, 2019 and October 31, 2019.
- Priority will be given to applications that address damage incurred to primary residences which sustained direct physical flood-related damage that threatens the safety of the home.
- The Lake Ontario recovery initiative is focused on the resiliency of the shoreline as a whole; and applications that address stand-alone shoreline damage that threatens the safety of a primary residence will be reviewed after funding decisions have been made for projects proposed through the REDI process. In some cases, these regionally significant projects may provide protections for individual homes.
Sign up to receive updates and to be notified when the application is available.
NYS HCR 2019 Lake Ontario-St Lawrence River Flood Relief and Recovery Program
Project UPLIFT Program launched Spring of 2016 Pilot Program for home elevation projects in Staten Island or Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay, BK
Through the Governor's Office of Storm Recovery's (GOSR) NY Rising Community Reconstruction (NYRCR) Program, storm-impacted NYC communities identified a lack of resources for homeowners in mitigating future storm risk, such as elevating their homes.
Responding to this need, GOSR created a home elevation pilot program in Staten Island, and Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. This pilot, named Project UPLIFT, is being implemented by SBP in partnership with New York State.
Housing Inquiries 1-844-9NYRISING
Sandy Related Programs
- Build It Back (BIB) Housing Counseling line at 646-237-5925 (existing line; for any BIB issue)
- Center for NYC Neighborhoods (CNYCN) Temporary Housing Hotline 646-757-2886 (new line for those in BIB with temporary housing needs)
- CNYCN's Statewide Mortgage Counseling Center 646-786-0888 (anyone with mortgage related questions/issues)
Other Available Programs
Other assistance may be available in your community. Search the 2-1-1 data bases of services or call 2-1-1.