Registration / Lodging
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to be a US citizen to take a course at the SPTC?
- What should I bring with me to the Training Center for registration/check-in?
- If I would like my lodging covered by DHSES while I’m at the State Preparedness Training Center (SPTC), will it automatically be provided for me?
- How do the hotels know who is approved for lodging?
- What if I forget to request lodging before the course begins? Can I just indicate I’m interested in lodging when I sign in at the SPTC during the course date?
- If I’m enrolled in training at the SPTC with some colleagues and I have requested lodging and been approved for it, are my colleagues automatically placed on the approved lodging list that is sent to the approved hotels?
- If I’m approved for lodging, does the SPTC make my reservation for me?
Do I have to be a US citizen to take a course at the SPTC?
The requirement to be a US citizen is course specific. Please read your course announcement carefully. If citizenship is required and you are not a US citizen, you are required to go through an approval process that takes up to 60 days, so please let us know if you need to start that process as soon as possible.
You should bring a picture ID, and your lodging and course confirmations. If you did not receive these confirmations, then you should check your contact information in SLMS to make sure it is current. If your information in SLMS is current, you should call (315)768-5689 to check on your enrollment status.
No. If you would like your lodging covered by DHSES for a course that is eligible for lodging (it will be indicated on the course announcement whether lodging is offered), you MUST request lodging WHEN COMPLETING THE COURSE REGISTRATION FORM.
The SPTC adds names of those who are approved for lodging to a list that is sent to the hotels in advance of the training courses being held. The list indicates the course for which lodging is approved, the date(s) lodging is provided, and the names of those approved. This is why it is paramount for students interested in lodging to request it WHEN SUBMITTING THE COURSE REGISTRATION FORM.
No, lodging needs to be requested AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. That way if you’re approved for lodging, your name will be on the lodging list that is sent to eligible hotels before the course begins. If you fail to request lodging AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION, you may be responsible for covering your own hotel expense.
If I’m enrolled in training at the SPTC with some colleagues and I have requested lodging and been approved for it, are my colleagues automatically placed on the approved lodging list that is sent to the approved hotels?
No. Each person interested in lodging needs to request lodging AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. The key is that the SPTC is aware of each person interested in lodging WHEN SUBMITTING THE COURSE REGISTRATION FORM.
No. The SPTC does NOT make hotel reservations. Rather, once you’ve received the email indicating you are approved for lodging, you would find the hotel list by going to: http://www.dhses.ny.gov/training/lodging.cfm, select the hotel you’re interested in staying at, and contact them at the phone number provided to make a reservation for the approved date(s). When calling the hotel, you must advise them that your stay is covered by the New York State Division of Homeland Security and they are to direct bill the SPTC. Be sure to indicate the date(s) your lodging is approved for, as well.