The National Integration Center develops supporting guides and tools to assist jurisdictions in their implementation of the National Incident Management System (NIMS). The guides and tools align with the NIMS doctrine to provide a common and standard understanding about the tools and resources needed to sustain, build, and deliver the core capabilities necessary to achieve a secure and resilient nation.
NIMS is a systematic, proactive approach to guide departments and agencies at all levels of government, nongovernmental organizations (NGO), and the private sector in working together seamlessly and managing incidents involving all threats and hazards - regardless of cause, size, location, or complexity - in order to reduce loss of life, loss of property, and harm to the environment. NIMS is the essential foundation to the National Preparedness System and provides the template for the management of incidents and operations in support of all five National Planning Frameworks.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) Document
- NIMS Fact Sheet The fact sheet provides a high-level overview of the NIMS as a whole.
- NIMS FAQs Find the answers to frequently asked questions here.
- NIMS Brochure
- National Response Framework Resource (NRF)
- NIMS Resource Center Credentialing Guide
- NIMS Resource Center Resource Typing section
The following tools and aids assist users in understanding and implementing the processes and principles of the NIMS. These tools and aids address specific content and processes to ensure that whole community partners are enabled to build and sustain their emergency management capabilities.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) Basic Guidance for Public Information Officers (PIOs) - November 2007
- NG 0001: National NIMS Resource Typing Criteria- March 2007
- NG 0002: National Credentialing Definition and Criteria- March 2007
- NG 0004: National Incident Management System (NIMS) Communications and Information Management Standards- January 2008
- NG 0005: National Incident Management System (NIMS) Preparedness and Incident Management Standards- January 2008
- NIMS Guideline for the Credentialing of Personnel- August 2011
- NIMS Intelligence/Investigations Function Guidance and Field Operations Guide- October 2013