Lithium-ion (Li-Ion) batteries have become extremely common. They are found in virtually every rechargeable/electronic device, from personal devices (Bluetooth headphones, vape pens, cell phones, computers) to transportation (e-scooters/ebikes, electric vehicles, airplanes) to stationary home/commercial Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS, e.g., Tesla Energy Wall or Megapack), and many other applications. If these batteries suffer a catastrophic failure, they can create extreme heat, result in a fire or explosion, and produce toxic gases.
Lithium-Ion Battery Safety for Consumers Bulletin
Lithium-ion Batteries Brochure
A Safety Guide for Consumers
Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) Fire Service Response Guide
For emergencies involving lithium-ion batteries in large scale energy storage outdoor (non-occupiable) cabinets
Battery Emergencies and Electrical Storage Systems Training Program
The course gives the students information on the dangers associated with lithium-ion battery emergencies. Students are given knowledge on the uses, construction and hazards associated with lithium-ion battery storage systems. Students are also advised on firefighter personal protective equipment (PPE) needed to safely respond to these incidents as well as recommendations to coordinate the incident and mitigate the hazards. The students are also given an overview on lithium-ion battery vehicle emergencies and recommendations to handle them.
for instructor-led classroom presentation, email [email protected] for information.
Resources from the FDNY
Fire Tactics and Procedures from FDNY
Pertinent Links to Related Organizations
Fire Safety Research Institute (FSRI): https://fsri.org/
- The Science of Fire and Explosion Hazards from Lithium-Ion Batteries: https://fsri.org/research-update/online-training-available-science-fire-and-explosion-hazards-lithium-ion-batteries
- Examining the Fire Safety Hazards of Lithium-ion Battery Powered e-Mobility Devices in Homes: https://fsri.org/research/examining-fire-safety-hazards-lithium-ion-battery-powered-e-mobility-devices-homes
National Fire Protection Association: https://nfpa.org
- Safety with E-Bikes and E-Scooters: https://www.nfpa.org/ebikes
United States Fire Administration: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/
- Guidance on Responding to Lithium-Ion Fires in Mobility Devices: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/blog/ig-042822.html
FDNY Smart: https://www.fdnysmart.org
- Safety Tips for Devices with Lithium-Ion Batteries: https://www.fdnysmart.org/be-fdnysmart-when-using-any-devices-powered-by-lithium-ion-batteries/