There are three ways to file fire incidents in the NYS Fire Incident Reporting System.
On-Line System - This on-line data entry system is now fully functional and open to all fire departments and County Fire Coordinators in New York State. This system provides fire departments the ability to report incidents on line to OFPC according to the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) 5.0 standards. In turn, a fire department can immediately view incidents reported and permits printing of incident report data for official use. Users will also have access to a growing list of selected reports.
New York State's Fire Incident Reporting System is a secure system and requires all users to obtain an account from OFPC. Please be sure to review the user requirements before requesting an account. To obtain an account, download the Information Management System Application and submit it to OFPC for approval.
The Office of Fire Prevention and Control can provide phone assistance. For further information contact the Fire Reporting Unit at 518-474-6746 or Ofpc.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electronic Format - Fire departments may use a NFIRS 5.0 compliant vendor software package to report fire incidents. Incidents are entered into the system by the fire department and the data is electronically transmitted to OFPC. The fire incident data may be on CD, floppy disk or a file attached to an e-mail.
- Paper Forms - Fire departments may continue to report incidents on paper forms, currently available from OFPC. These forms will be entered by OFPC staff and the data captured into the New York State database.
OFPC is not responsible for the compliance of third party reporting systems. If you have any problems with your software, please contact the vendor for help.
User RequirementsThe Fire Incident Reporting System has the following requirements:
- Fire Incident Reporting requires the use of a Windows based PC and Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher for Windows.
- All accounts must be renewed annually in writing.
- Accounts may be disabled for security or maintenance reasons at any time at the discretion of OFPC staff.
- If an account is locked, contact the Office of Fire Prevention and Control Fire Reporting Unit at 518-474-6746. The user will be required to confirm their identity by providing the security information submitted with their application.
- Does OFPC provide third party software for Version 5 reporting?
No. fire departments must purchase a NFIRS 5.0 compliant vendor software package to report fire incidents. Contact NFIRS for further information.
- Who provides technical support to third party software?
The vendor you purchase your software from is responsible for supporting that software and should be contacted if you have any questions.
- What is the year end cutoff date for submitting incident reports to the OFPC?
Deadline for yearly reports is March 1st. Reports received after this date will be processed as time permits.
- Is there a cutoff date for filing Version 4 electronically?
Version 4 will no longer be accepted electronically after December 31, 2005.
- Are we still accepting Version 4 paper forms?
No. The Version 4 paper forms were accepted until April 1, 2003. The Version 5 format should be used for any incidents to be reported that occurred prior to 2002 and for all incidents that occur after January 1, 2003.
- What is the e-mail address for electronic filing?
- What is the e-mail address for general help?
For additional information:E-mail: Ofpc.email@example.com