NOTICE: OFPC will be resuming state fire training on a limited basis. While assuring that appropriate COVID-19 safety measures are in place, OFPC staff will be contacting training coordinators to schedule courses at the Fire Academy and at the county level.
2021 Academy Course Information
- 2021 Course Schedule - PDF of upcoming courses and dates for January - June, 2021.
- 2021 Academy Calendar - 6 page PDF of course dates for 2021.
- 2021 Academy Registration Calendar - Registration of Academy Courses for 2021
- OFPC Course Catalog - 31 page PDF with course descriptions and Academy and SPTC information (updated 2/10/21)
- In-Service Training for Codes Inspectors and Building Safety Inspector - 4 page PDF with course descriptions and information (updated 5/25/19).
Outreach Training Schedule
- Open Enrollment Courses Start July 2018The SWFT facility, located at the New York State State Preparedness Training Center, provides a unique training environment for Swiftwater/Flood rescue training. The facility includes a swiftwater channel, a vehicle in water rescue prop, an urban flood simulator and a rope rescue training tower. The training is open to all first responders and specific course offerings for technical rescue teams or regional partnerships are also available.
Training Reciprocity or Equivalency for NYS Fire Training Courses- Effective April 1, 2011, in order to obtain equivalency or reciprocity for training completed outside the New York State Fire Training Program for the State fire training courses listed below, national certification to the corresponding National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Professional Qualification Standard is required. Please read the complete bulletin.
Guidelines for Live Fire Training Evolutions
All live fire training shall be conducted in accordance with National Fire Protection Association Standard (NFPA) 1403, Standard on Live Fire Training Evolutions, 2012 edition.
Specific procedures, pertaining to compliance with NFPA 1403, will be available for each State fire training course. The Office of Fire Prevention and Control will provide these procedures to state fire instructors, municipal training officers and county fire instructors at the time of instructor authorization. The use of acquired structures for live fire training is strictly prohibited in State fire training courses.
The New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Prevention and Control, in cooperation with New York State Public Employee Safety and Health, New York State Fire Chiefs Association, Firemen's Association of the State of New York, County Fire Coordinators' Association and the Fire Districts Association of the State of New York, has developed recommended minimum training standards based on firefighter and Incident Commander/Fire Officer tasks or positions to provide guidance and promote best practices for firefighter training and education in the State of New York.
This study is provided to the Governor and Legislature pursuant to Chapter 410 of the Laws of 2018. The law requires the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Prevention and Control (OFPC) to study the feasibility of teaching firefighting skills currently required to be taught in an academic setting, to be taught through the internet or at a trainee's fire department.
Recruit Firefighter Training Program (RFFT)
- Information on the Recruit Firefighter Training Program (RFFT) at the NYS Academy of Fire Science
Fire Training Manuals
- Manuals for select training courses are available to download.
DHSES Training Calendar
- DHSES Training Calendar - This Web page provides information about Training Courses offered in New York State by DHSES including the Office of Fire Prevention and Control.
- 2018 Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2017 Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2016 Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2015 Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2014 Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2013 Firefighter Training and Education Report
- 2012 Firefighter Training and Education Report
- Registration Information
- Outreach Programs - Information on basic skills training available statewide
- Overview - Overview of OFPC training Programs
- The Academy of Fire Science -- information about this facility and its programs
- The Academy of Fire Science Library -- information about the Library located at the Academy of Fire Science in Montour Falls
- Academy Registration Form
- Fire / Arson Investigation Training Program Agency Endorsement Affidavit
- Firefighter I Skills Sheets Master List
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter I
- Live Fire Suppression Verification Form - Firefighter II
- National Certification Exam Application
- Report of Out-of-State Fire Training
- Request Reasonable Accommodation of a Disability
- Training Authorization Letter
- Training History/Transcript Request