The SERC Work Group is an advisory board to the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC) and the Disaster Preparedness Commission (DPC) on emergency planning and training, reporting and community awareness. The Working Group is comprised of business, industry, State and local representatives with a broad range of responsibilities and expertise in the hazardous materials response field.
The SERC working group consists of the following State agencies:
- NYS Office of Emergency Management, Chair
- NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control
- NYS Business Council
- NYS Department of Health
- NYS Chemical Alliance
- NYS Department of Labor
- NYS Emergency Management Association
- NYS Division of State Police
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
- NYS Department of Transportation
The mission of the SERC working group is to facilitate the implementation of hazardous materials preparedness as required by the federal Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) by providing leadership, guidance and assistance to Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPCs), and to State and local government, business and industry, and the public.
- To have an emergency planning process that produces plans that work at all levels, and builds grass roots support for emergency management.
- To promote active Local Emergency Planning Committees that are responsive to the needs of their communities.
- To provide responsive, quality services.
- Improve the functioning of the SERC Working Group.
- Establish a funding mechanism for EPCRA efforts.
- Improve and expand a communications system or process to provide guidance to Local Emergency Planning Committees.
- Ensure each emergency planning district has a comprehensive and functional plan as required by the Emergency Planning and Right-to-Know Act.
- Engage community involvement organizations, businesses, and citizens in comprehensive emergency planning for their area.
- Insure compliance with health and safety rules for responders.
- Have a more effective and streamlined Right-to-Know process.
State Emergency Response Commission Working Group
New York State Office of Emergency Management
1220 Washington Avenue
Building 22, Suite 101
Albany, NY 12226-2251
Phone: (518) 292-2366
Fax: (518) 322-4986
For Tier II Reporting inquiries, please call (518) 292-2302 or email your inquiry to the above contact.